Weekly Roundup – Week ending (2/25/17)
We all know what went wrong this week, so now it is time again for what went right. Not every win is directly twittler-in-chief related, but many will help us as a country stay on the right track.
1. Democratic candidate for State Senate in Delaware, Stephanie Hansen won by 58% of the vote, enabling the Democrats to retain a majority in the State Senate. Hundreds of in-state and out-of-state volunteers campaigned and donated close to a million dollars to keep Delaware blue.
2. The Vice Chair of the Wasatch County Republican Party, James Green, was forced to resign after backlash from his letter to the editor supporting a gender pay gap as way to keep mothers from entering the workforce.
3. Virginia Democrats announced plans to challenge 45 GOP incumbents in the republican controlled House of Delegates this November. If successful, it would be an increase over 2015, when only 21 Democrats ran against GOP lawmakers.
4. The Arizona Senate rejected a bill that would have prevented cities from creating ID cards available to all residents, regardless of their immigration status.
5. A U.S. Court of Appeals upheld Maryland’s ban on assault rifles by a 10-4 vote. The Court ruled gun owners are not protected under the second amendment off the U.S. Constitution to possess “weapons of war.”
6. The largest coal-fired generating plant west of the Mississippi announced they would close in 2019, decades earlier than expected. The plant was third on the EPA list of major carbon-emitting facilities.
7. Betsy DeVos actually came out as against repealing bathroom protects for transgender students, who would have thought?
8. Outdoor Retailer, a major industry trade show that brings in millions of dollars in revenue announced Utah could no longer host the trade show starting in 2018. This was in response to a boycott of the show by Patagonia, REI, North Face, and others after the Republican Governor refused to rescind his call for the reversal of a new national monument designation for Bear Ears Monument. (a bit late on this one as it was 10 days ago).
9. Activists hung an enormous 20 foot “Refugees Welcome” banner at the base of the Statute of Liberty. Beautiful photos of the banner appeared all over the news.